Monday 10 January 2011

Illustrators Itch.

I've been itching to get creative and work on my new projects but sadly my dissertation beckons all of my attention at the moment.  So, I thought I'd pop on a final piece for a project I worked on last year.  We had to design promotional material for an independent retailer and I chose a local pub in the heart of Norwich.  The Birdcage is a gorgeous gem of a place with loads of character and bursting with tasty little beverages.  It's quirky and I wanted to echo this in my promo material.

Everyone I know plays and fiddles with beer mats, so I thought I would make beer mats that punters could interact with. Using the basic idea of an optical illusion by means of a thaumatrope I created these designs based on drawings I'd made whilst at the Birdcage ( I may have even indulged in a cupcake and a lovely tipple).  When printed and assembled the final piece had ribbon attached to the sides so that the beer mat could be spun to see the illusion.

I would match up an object and a cage in contrasting colours so that you could see the cupcake or cow for example when spun.

An example of a Thaumatrope.

No comments:

Post a Comment